Thursday, May 10, 2012

Mother's Day Craft

My son and I enjoy giving handmade gifts, and we weren't sure what to do about Mother's Day this year.... until my mom mentioned her birdhouses needed repainting, and  I vaguely recalled seeing decoupaged birdhouses on Pinterest. Then it hit me - I have a ton of fabric scraps from all of the dresses I've sewn, why not decoupage them onto the birdhouses? So off to Hobby Lobby I went, to get Mod Podge, paint brushes, and a new birdhouse to give to my grandma for Mother's day, as well. What a fun project!
It's so easy!! Just paint the Mod Podge onto your birdhouse, and start placing fabric. If you do the hard parts first (the underside of the roof, around the bottom, etc) it's easier later on. I also found it easier, and more fun, to use smaller, randomly shaped cut pieces of the scrap fabric. I put 2 layers of Mod Podge on the birdhouses once they were done, and then sprayed a clear coat of indoor/outdoor Krylon on them for extra protection against the elements. 
 We sure do hope they are liked, not only by the recipients, but by the birds as well! :) 
Happy Mother's Day!




No comments:

Post a Comment